Sunday, May 31, 2009

Vintage Records

Last night I spent the evening hanging out with my nephew listening to records. Yes, RECORDS. His dad has quite a collection of vintage vinyl from the 60's and 70's and as always I am intrigued by the photographic possibilities of the albums. We had a great time exploring the album covers and a great discussion of the images the artists used to use to decorate the album covers. It is so different now. When I was a child I remember getting my first record player it was like a little suitcase decorate like a pair of blue jeans. The first record I got was "Thank you for being a friend" on 45. It is so amazing to see how much technology has changed in my lifetime. I've had records, eight-track tapes, cassettes, CD's and now I just download from iTunes direct to my iPod. Wow! Photography is the same way. I started with a film camera with no automatic anything and then along came autofocus and autoexposure and finally digital cameras. I feel like I've lived through an amazing transformation of electronics.

Speaking of records, my husband reviews electronics and he just wrote a review about a USB turntable that you can hook up to your computer to import your old vinyl records so you can listen to them on your iPod. way cool. Check it out on Endless Years. Its near the end of the Father's Day Gift Guide.

This is my favorite photo of the evening. I'll call it "Dream a Little Dream". I have a little dream. I hope it comes true.

1 comment:

  1. Sharon, I love vinyl! We bought Colbie a record player for Christmas and I think we might like it more than she does. I love reliving my youth by listening to my 80's albums. Ron and I marvel at the artistic covers. I think it's time for us to visit Sumter at Record Town...

    ReplyDelete