Monday, May 18, 2009

Awards Ceremony

This evening I photographed the MISD service awards ceremony where my school district honors employees for years of dedication to education and hands out the teacher of the year awards. Very cool program. Our district has always had a lot of fun at these awards ceremonies. This year they had Four Day Weekend perform their comedy as the employees were recognized. I have some nice photos from the comedians and a few I like from our retiring superintendent. That's him waving goodbye after a standing ovation from the audience. Mr. Newsom was a wonderful superintendent and you could tell he really cares about the people in our district from the way he handed out the awards this evening. The second picture here is of Dr. Cunningham. He's a great sport and was laughing as the comedian took his retirement gift and asked if he could open it. I also caught this fun photo of a teacher giving a thumbs-up to the rest of the audience after she was called up on stage to receive her award by Four Day Weekend. She got a crystal vase. How very cool. I need one of those! 

Finally The last award of the night was the Secondary Teacher of the Year award and it just so happens that a teacher from my school received that honor. Mr. Ponce is an amazing teacher. He goes above and beyond for our school and for the kids. As you know I am a sucker for the emotional photo, the moment that tells the story and I think this photo really does it. He's standing between the other two nominees for the Teacher of the Year award
and as his name is announced they turn to clap and he looks down showing modesty...if it would have been me I would have looked more like I just won homecoming queen...hands on my face mouth open in surprise. I'm proud that I teach at Summit with Mr. Ponce, the Teacher of the Year.


Need a photographer for your event? Contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment